My wife’s marriage visa has expired. What can I do?

Question: My wife’s two years marriage visa expired almost two months ago. What is going to happen now and what do I need to do? Thanks.

Answer: It’s important to find out why your wife’s visa expired without renewal – was there a good reason for example, medical reasons that took priority at the time and your wife was unable to sort her visa out?

Generally, the Home Office have a hard line and consistent policy whereby they generally refuse regularising a person’s immigration status where they have overstayed their visa, without extremely good reasons.
You may wish to seek legal advice from a specialist immigration solicitor, to find out whether any good grounds can be put forward to the Home Office, with the aim that they consider your wife’s visa application outside of their ordinary policy or alternately, to seek advice on any other routes available to your wife to regularise her legal status.


By Greenfields Solicitors,

Please note that the above article does not relate to nationals of the European Union. The above article is meant to be relied upon as an informative article and in no way constitutes legal advice. For legal advice regarding your case, please contact Greenfields Solicitors for a Consultation with a Solicitor on 020 8884 1l66.