I’m an overstayer who pays taxes. Can I regularise my status?

Question: I am an overstayer. I came to the UK in 1998. I am now 63 years old. I have been working and paying the income tax & council tax. I have no criminal record. As a Care Assistant, I have CRB check every year. Is there a way I can regularise my status?

Answer: As you have resided in the UK for a significant period of time, you may wish to make an application for indefinite leave rather than further leave to remain which is granted with an application submitted on the basis of discretionary leave.

You may be eligible for indefinite leave to remain on the basis of the extended length of continued unbroken residency in the UK.

However, in order to submit this application you must show you have lived in the UK whether lawful or unlawfully for up to 14 years.

If you feel you cannot wait to submit this application, your alternative option may be the discretionary leave application.

In order to find out which application is most suited to your best interest I strongly suggest you book a consultation with an accredited firm of immigration solicitors who can advise you further with regards to the applications mentioned. Thanks.

By Greenfields Solicitors,