Mubenga was “unlawfully killed” during deportation

A man being deported from Britain was unlawfully killed on a British Airways flight taking him back to Angola, an inquest jury has found.

The late Jimmy Mubenga

Jimmy Mubenga died after becoming ill as the aircraft prepared to leave Heathrow Airport in October 2010.

An inquest jury at Isleworth Crown Court heard that the 46 year old man had been restrained by G4S security guards Terence Hughes, Stuart Tribelnig and Colin Kaler.

The jury ruled that Jimmy Mubenga died on the plane. In their verdict they ruled that based on the evidence heard, “Mr. Mubenga was pushed or held down by one or more of the guards causing his breathing to be impeded.”

The jury said they found the guards “were using unreasonable force and acting in an unlawful manner. The fact that Mr. Mubenga was pushed or held down, or a combination of the two, was a significant, that is, more than a minimal cause of death.”

The jury further said: “The guards we believe would have known that they would have caused Mr. Mubenga harm in their actions if not serious harm. We find that Mr. Mubenga died in his seat at approximately 20:24 and before the paramedics boarded the aircraft at 20:38.”

Mr. Mubenga left behind a widow and five children aged one to 17 years at the time of his death.

He was being deported from the UK after serving a two-year prison sentence.

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said it would reconsider its original decision not to bring criminal charges in the wake of the verdict.

Adrienne Makenda Kambana, Jimmy Mubenga’s widow thanked the jury for helping her understand how her husband died.

“The inquest helped me to understand what really happened in the plane. I now know how Jimmy died. I was so shocked to hear that a lot of people heard Jimmy asking for help but no-one helped him,” Ms. Kambana said. “This feels like a nightmare because Jimmy walked onto a plane feeling fine and came out of the plane dead. How can my family live with this pain? We’re not going to forget this because the last time I spoke to him he said I will call you back and he will never call me back again.”

Ms. Kambana thanked the jury for helping her “get closer to justice for Jimmy which will only be fully achieved when I can tell my children that those responsible have been properly held to account and no other family suffers in the way we are.”