Man who raped a woman in the street in South London jailed for seven years

A man has been jailed for seven years at Woolwich Crown Court for attacking and raping a woman in the street in South London.

Steven Dunne, 24, of Copleston Mews, Peckham had on 5th March 2014 pleaded guilty to one count of rape and one count of robbery following the attack on 10th November 2013.

Steven Dunne threatened to kill the victim during the ordeal

The victim, a 27-year-old woman, was walking to work along Surrey Quays Road, SE16 at around 0645hrs.

As she made her way along the street, the victim realised she was being followed by Dunne, who was wearing a hooded top.

Dunne suddenly rushed at the woman and grabbed her, forcing her from the street into bushes where he orally raped her and robbed her of cash. He also threatened to kill her during the ordeal.

Dunne made off from the scene, threatening the victim that she should remain in the bushes until for five minutes after he had gone. Once she was sure Dunne had left the scene, the victim reported the incident to police.

The victim was supported after her ordeal by trained officers from the Met’s Sexual Offences, Exploitation and Child Abuse (SOECA) Command and staff at Haven. Officers obtained DNA evidence which matched that of Dunne.

He was subsequently arrested on 15th November 2013 and charged the same day.

PC Carol Day led the investigation said: “Steven Dunne committed a violent and terrifying rape on a woman walking to her workplace in the early hours of the morning. The victim in this case was traumatised by the attack, but with support has found the determination to see her attacker sent to prison for a long time.”

Detective Inspector Faye Churchyard of the SOECA Command said: “The victim was subjected to the terrifying ordeal that all women fear, being attacked alone on a deserted street.”

Detective Inspector Churchyard said Dunne’s conviction “sends a strong message to all victims that they will be supported and that justice will prevail.”

He appealed to all who may have been attacked by Steven Dunne to come forward and tell the police what happened to them.