Appeal for witnesses and information about Croydon murder

The victim was Trevor Ellis

Detectives are appealing for witnesses and information after a murder in Croydon.

At approximately 21.20hrs on Monday 8th August officers discovered the 26-year-old victim in a vehicle in Duppas Hill Road at its junction with Warrington Road, Croydon.

He was taken to St George’s Hospital with a gunshot wound to his head, and was pronounced dead on 9th August.

The victim was Trevor Ellis, 26, of Brixton Hill SW2. Mr. Ellis was the father of four young children aged 3 months; 1 year; 3 years; 4 years.

A post-mortem gave cause of death as a gunshot wound.

Initial inquiries indicate Mr. Ellis had travelled to the Croydon area earlier on Monday 8th August in the company of a group of friends.

It is believed the group became involved in an altercation with a group of approximately nine individuals. This altercation culminated in a vehicle pursuit involving three vehicles which commenced in Scarbrook Road, Croydon, passing along the A232 flyover into Duppas Hill Road where Mr. Ellis was shot.

Detectives are appealing for anyone who witnessed the pursuit which involved a dark coloured estate car and silver hatchback – believed to have been driven by the group of nine – and a dark coloured hatchback, in which Mr. Ellis was a passenger.

An incident room has been opened under DCI Neil Hutchison (Trident).

Anyone with information relating to any aspect of the incident is asked to call the incident room on 020 8247 4553; if you wish to remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Two men were arrested at the scene on suspicion of handling stolen goods. They were later bailed to return pending further inquiries.

On Thursday 11th August a man was arrested by Met. officers in Brighton on suspicion of murder and taken to a south London police station. He is now bailed to return on 12th September pending further inquiries.

At 15.50hrs on 12th August officers from Trident, supported by armed officers from CO19, attended an address in Mitcham. A man at the address was arrested on suspicion of murder and is now in custody at a south London police station.

Other persons are still sought.